Monday, May 9, 2011

Dollar Store Mirror Revamp!

Mirrors Don't Have To Always Be On The Wall!
{We hope you had a wonderful weekend celebrating Mother's Day with the women in your life!}
Well, we have to say that we even surprised ourselves on this Dollar Store project! I have always loved the glamorous era of women sitting at a dressing table combing their hair in front of big mirror, only to be using a smaller more feminine one on the dressing table! I'm thinking of "I Love Lucy" as a visual! That is what our mirror reminds me of.
For this project this is what we used:

Dollar Store mirror and glass candlestick. Spray paint {Dover. I have been crushing on Dover it is like a creamy vanilla bean color, love!}
Gorilla glue and the inside seal of a canning jar or round wooden disk {not pictured}.

Protect the surface of the mirror by covering it with paper. We used a piece of construction paper. Prep your surface for spray painting. We did ours outdoors on one of the windiest days in the Bay Area which we do not recommend {but you have to get things done sometimes!}
Spray the frame of the mirror,the candlestick and the seal or wood circle with sprat paint. Allow to dry. Decide if another coat of paint is needed on each piece.


Once all pieces are dry, glue the disk on to the top candlestick so that it looks like a pillar candle stick, not a taper candlestick any longer. Once this is dry you will glue the mirror onto the disk. We left the easel part of the mirror on. It helps secure the mirror to the base and gives the mirror a slight recline.  
Once both pieces are dry, apply glue to the mirror stand/easel and onto the parts of the frame that come in contact with the disk surface in front and any place else.
We propped our mirror up against some book while drying to help support it through the trying process.
{NOTE: Try not to be too heavy handed with the glue. I am new to using Gorilla glue and I am finding that I am using way too much. Once dry, it is not easy if at all possible to clean off any excess.}


 We finished our mirror off by wraping a cream colored satin ribbon around it. It hides some ugly glue and is pretty too!
                                        
                 


                                This is the finished product! We have actually fell in love with it!
                                                  As always, we hope we have inspired you!

                                              Remember, keep it Homespun!


                              The Word became flesh and dwelt among us.
                                                                 John 1:14

Photo/Source
Homespun With Love
                                           
Linking to:
The Girl CreativePhotobucketThe DIY Show OffThe Tattered Tagall crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours!Tuesday To Do Party

24 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great idea! I love these kinds of mirrors, too! Now if I could just find oval/ornate mirrors like that at my dollar store I'd be good to go! Stopping over from Not Just a Hosuewife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! Would've liked to see more photos of the gluing the disk & gluing the mirror to the disk; to make it easier to envision. Will try it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a creative project! I have seen a few things gorilla glued to a vase but never a mirror. It looks cute and I love the bow. Very feminine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious!!!! I bought 3 of them the other day! I love love love what you did! I'm featuring this on next weeks All Things Inspired!!! I just love a good Dollar Store re-do!
    xoxo
    Robin
    All Things Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure I have this SAME dollar store mirror I bought for another project but didn't use! This is so great and I am SO saving this idea for future reference! I love Gorilla Glue and use it a lot but E6000 is even better for things that need to be held tightly AND that you want to dry quickly. It's especially great when working with glass or porcelain projects. Thanks for posting your great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute! What a great idea and love that it is thrifty!

    Also, I have a great giveaway going on for some chalkboard labels and would love if you entered! http://eyespydiy.blogspot.com/2011/05/chalkboard-label-giveaway-from-ginger.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I stumbled upon your blog via a linky party- I just love your blog and I can't stop reading it, you have so many wonderful and creative ideas! I am now your newest follower and I hope you will follow me too!
    I look forward to reading your future blog posts

    http://sweetenedbykagi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow - I am off to the dollar store to pick up those mirrors...great idea.

    xo
    tina
    embellishments by tina

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT job! Gosh I love spray paint & the dollar store! :) I'd love if you'd link up to Sew Woodsy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute! What a great idea - I love re-vamping things from the dollar store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just love those dollar store ideas! So cute! Please share on my Reap What You Sew Sundays giveaway linky party! http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com/2011/05/reap-what-you-sew-sundays-4-winner.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. fabulous idea!! thanks for partying with whipperberry!
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  13. the beautiful mirror is gorgeous. It's lovely and I always love dollar store projects.

    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's amazing what you can do with a little glue and spray paint! It turned out beautifully, excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a cute idea!
    Tomorrow I am hosting my weekly linky party called “20 minute Tuesdays”. It’s for projects that cost less than $10 and take 20-30 minutes (ISH). This project would be perfect! Would you consider linking up on Tuesday? http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com
    PS: I have 30 spots left to receive a free button pony tailer! Check out the details here: http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com/p/may-winners.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am definitely wanting to use this for my cosmetics vanity now =)! My readers would LOVE this!!! May I feature you on my blog? Just email me at dollcosmetics@gmail.com =).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kristin, the mirror is simply adorable! I love this idea. The frame on the mirror is very pretty and adds the perfect glamourous touch... I have to take a peek and see if my store has those yet. Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase Party - I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this today. Enjoy the rest of your week ~ Stephanie Lynn
    www.bystephanielynn.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kristin, I found you via Stephanie Lynn's Sunday Showcase and I'm so glad I did! The mirror looks fantastic. Do you know off the top of your head whether you found your mirror at Dollar Tree, Dollar General or Family Dollar store? Those are the ones here in the little town where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This turned out so cute!!
    Thanks for linking this up as well!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just goes to show, you don't have to spend a fortune to have things looking nice. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was very pleased to find this web site. I need to to thank you for your
    time for this wonderful read!! I definitely appreciated every little
    bit of it and I have you saved as a favorite to check out new
    things on your blog.
    My site :: free iphone

    ReplyDelete

WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY!!!

There was an error in this gadget