Saturday, January 21, 2012

Valentine's Day Mantel

What Is Your Love Language?  According to Dr. Gary Chapman, there are five love languages:  Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service and Physical Touch and we all have one in particular. Finding these love languages is reported to help express practical and power ways of expressing love. {source}. Today we are speaking the language of love through Valentine decor. Our theme this year is a little sassy and a little edgy, red and black romance!

We love the way our apothecary jar /vase vignette turned out. Instead of filling our jars with Valentine candy {in an effort to keep healthier eating habits}, we filled them with red bag fill, a love sign and little red hearts. We made a paper rosette and attached a glitter heart to it and hung it on one of the jars. We already had the hounds tooth print rosette and just embellished it a bit by adding a heart and the xxxooo's.

We used things we had to made the hearts on a stick inside the jar.

Our craft store purchase was the long stem red rose that looks so realistic. Just could not pass up having red roses in our Valentine mantel decor.

The black ribbon is part of our mantle garland we used to hang it with. Since we are a "no nails" mantel owner, we usually find alternative ways to secure our garlands. Plus the bow adds another bit of "sassy" to our overall look.

Now for the candles! there will always be candles in our decorating. This time we made our candle wraps to look like a sassy little corset. Simple craft store supplies and about 10 minutes time we had our mantel candles ready!

We found some really great Valentine printable posters and incorporated them by picking up some Dollar Tree black frames to put them in. We embellished the frames with some red heart trim for a little extra fun.

This framed print of course speaks volumes and is dear to our hearts. We found this one over at Honey Bear Lane.

Does this one speak to you?! If you would like to have this one, visit Spirk Space.

Love how the red was brought into the graphic by using it on one letter in the word LOVE. This can be found at Spirk Space.

                Last, but so not the least, this nice one from Flamingo Toes.

And now to the mantel garland. Simple iconic Valentine symbols, red doilie hearts, cupid and x's and o's. We made up some large paper rosette flowers and layered on the heart doilie and sticker embellishments.

Have you figured out your love language yet?! In case you would like to know, mine is "Quality Time". We hope we have successfully communicated out Valentine love language to you through our Valentine mantel! Check back with us during the week for close ups on the candles and garland! Be inspired, get creative!

You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning;
my God turns my darkness into light.
Psalm 18:28

Linking To:

michellepaige.blogspot.comPhotobucketLink Party{nifty button}Sumo's Sweet StuffhomeworkCraft & TellValentines Party Invited ButtonUNCOMMONSouthern Lovely52 Mantelsmichellepaige.blogspot.comTales of a Trophy WifePhotobucketCatch a Glimpse ButtonThe Frugal GirlsSimply DesigningDesign DazzleTidyMom I'm Lovin' It MantelsHome SavvyThe Girl Creativemop it up mondaysTwo Yellow Birds DecorOopsey DaisyCherished Bliss


  1. Love-- your Love Language inspired mantle! Thanks so much for linking up to my Valentine Link Party!

  2. LOVE the red and black. I'm having a RED Valentine's party, so I'm pinning this for decor ideas. Thanks for sharing

    If you're interested, we're hosting our first ever link up party. Please stop by and link up!

  3. This turned out great! Good job. I hope you will link up to my I Heart Projects Party!

  4. Spreadin' the love on that mantle! Very cute :)

    Nice job!
    Visiting from Craft-O-Maniac's linky party,
    ~Suzanne in NW Illinois

  5. Love everything on that mantle! Those candles are gorgeous too! Found you through Craft-O-Maniac's linky party. Following your blog now too.

  6. I was just at Michaels today on my lunch and I saw the Love sign and heart pendants and wondered what to do with them. I loved them in the glass jars. So cute! I'm your newest follower.

  7. That is so cute and SO Valentiney! I would love for you to link up at my Valentines Party @!

  8. Great Love inspired mantel. Everything looks really pretty. You sure will bring out the "quality time" with your mantel. Thanks for sharing your inspiration at Sunday's Best Party!

  9. I just found you and am your newest follower! I love the damask printed candles. They are beautiful.

    I would love it if you would hook this up to my new linky party:

  10. Great Mantle. I'd love for you to link this up to my weekly party:

  11. I'm sharing your beautiful mantle today!

  12. Cute!! I was considering doing a black, white and red mantel. You've really inspired me to follow through with that idea!! Thanks so much!!

    And, thanks for linking up your awesomeness!! You rock!

  13. Super adorable! I wish I had a mantle to decorate :) Thanks so much for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings.

  14. I love the black and white and red!

  15. I featured this idea of yours today! Thanks again for linking up!

  16. This is just so that houndstooth patterned pinwheel. My fave! Thanks again for linking up! ;)

  17. Your mantel is darling! I am featuring you tonight!

  18. Oh I just love all of your decor! So Pretty!! Thanks for sharing this also at Thursday's Temptation!

  19. I LOVE the use of the apothecary jars!! Your whole mantel is very fun and all ties together great! Very inspiring!

  20. So many fun printables on your mantel!! I love all the red and black! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!



There was an error in this gadget