Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Recipe Wednesday: Homemade Ginger Syrup


 As a child whenever we had an upset stomach or stomach flu, we were always given the old Ginger Ale as a way to help settle things down. Aside from the fact that Ginger is great for settling an upset stomach, taste great in recipes and smells heavenly, there are are few more things you may be interested in knowing about Ginger.




Before we get the many health benefits of Ginger, please know that this recipe IS NOT like the sugar laced, color added bottle of ginger ale you will find in the grocery store. This is pure and clean and deliciously good for you!



Health Benefits of Ginger:
Gastrointestinal Relief
Safe and Effective Relief of Nausea and Vomiting During Pregnancy
Anti-Inflammatory Effects
Protection against Colorectal Cancer
Ginger Induces Cell Death in Ovarian Cancer Cells
Immune Boosting Action
Source


           


Homemade Ginger Syrup {adapted from Simply Sugar And Gluten Free}
1 cup sliced ginger root

2 thick lemon slices
4 cups of filtered water

Pellegrino or other natural, sodium free sparkling mineral water
Sweetner to taste

lime wedges {for taste and garnish}


Put the sliced ginger and lemon pieces into a 4-quart saucepan. Cover with filtered water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover, and let steep for 1 hour – 1 hour 30 minutes. The longer it steeps, the spicier it gets.
Strain into a 1-quart  jar, discarding ginger and lemon Cover and chill. Store In refrigerator for up to one week. {Possibly longer, but check it by sight and smell prior to consuming.} Shake gently before using. 



                                 This is what the Ginger Syrup looks like when cooled.

                           We used a clean olive oil bottle to store our Ginger Syrup in .


                 To make a glass of homemade Ginger Ale this is what you need to do:

                                       This is PER SERVING


                                          1 part Ginger Syrup

                                       Ice cubes to your liking


                                            2 parts Pellegrino


                               Your choice sweetener added to your liking


                                        Lime slices to your taste and mix well.




                                                   Serve and enjoy!

                           
Forget about the stuff they sell in the store as "Ginger Ale" and make your own fresh naturally good for you Ginger Ale and feel good about what you are giving your family and yourself! Be inspired, get creative!

The wicked flee when no one pursues,
But the righteous are bold as a lion.
Proverbs 28:1

Linking To:

14 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of ginger! This sounds like a great summer drink...I am pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this. I love ginger and this is a nice treat :)

    Love for you to share it at my linky party here if you haven't already :)
    http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/02/made-by-me-18-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!!! I will definitely be trying this! I love ginger! Have you ever tried it with sugar added while making the syrup? I'm curious if that would work? But, then I suppose it's nice for people to be able to customize the sweetness with each glass, so maybe that wouldn't be the best idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No sugar?! Oh, I am in love! Thank you so very much for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I would love for you to link up at my linky party via: ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    PS: I am your newest linky follower.

    Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing, I have to try this. My hubby absolutely adores ginger :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you store the ginger syrup in the refrigerator? How long will it stay good before having to toss it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! We just posted our 2nd Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday Link Party and would love for you to share this! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/02/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link_16.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delish! I'm definitely trying this and I already have all the ingredients in my pantry right now. I'm visiting from Lolly Jane Boutique link party and I've shared my Grilled Asparagus Salad w/ emulsified Balsamic Vinaigrette there.

    Robin
    happilyhomeafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds fantastic! The only soda I drink is a locally made root beer or ginger beer, so this would be a nice alternative.

    How thick is this? Might be nice in a hot tea!

    Alecia@ ChickenScratchNY.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds lush! You just got yourself a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just pinned this and plan on making it soon. Thank you so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds fantastic! I'm a big fan of Nourishing Traditions' ginger ale- I would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just wanted to let you know that I'm featuring this later today!! Thanks again for linking up with me every Thursday!!

    ReplyDelete

WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY!!!

Share It