Saturday, March 31, 2012

Kids Play: Chocolate Easter Play Dough

Chocolate you can play with!

Who doesn't love getting a little chocolate something on Easter! Maybe it's a chocolate egg, chick or cross. But what about some play dough?! Chocolate  play dough! This chocolate play dough smells, divine! It actually can be eaten, however, as sweet as it smells, it is not sweet. Very salty, but it would fun to at least let the children have a little nibble, right?! Pre warn them at least!

Chocolate Easter Play Dough Recipe
adapted from: The Imagination Tree
Dough Recipe
  • 2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder plus 1-2 T. extra since we like ours chocolaty!
  • 2 tbsps vegetable oil
  • 2 tbsps cream of tartar
  • 2 cups of boiling water
  • Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl
  • Stir in the vegetable oil
  • Mix together
  • Stir in the boiling water (adult only) and mix until combined
  • When it has cooled a little, knead it on a clean surface until it loses all stickiness and becomes smooth. No residue should come off on your fingers. If it is still sticky add a little more flour, if too dry and crumbly add more water, a tablespoon at a time.

Once it is mixed and cooled, it will look like this. Now, get your Easter cookie cutters ready for the children and adults to play with!

These are the cookie cutters we choose from our cookie cutter drawer. An egg, carrot and a duck, that we are pretending is an Easter chick.

Now, time to play! Roll out dough with rolling pin or, flatten out with hands to cut your dough. The chocolate smell lingers on your hands and you may end up getting a little hungry!

 If you make, or have on hand, other colored play dough, children can use that like cookie decorations to decorate their Easter cookies with!

As much fun as it is playing with the play dough right after it is made, we really thought it would be fun to use some of the chocolate Easter play dough as little Easter basket gifts, adding a couple to whatever else would be given, or alone as a gift in multiples.

This is what we came up with as a cute presentation, and to help keep the play dough fresher longer.

 We used plastic eggs we already had, and made sure the insides were clean and dry.

We took piece's of the play dough about the size of a walnut and rolled them into balls.

                             We than placed the chocolate balls inside the plastic eggs.

                                     Simple presentation ideas are.....

If you make the dough as a surprise you could: Place the chocolate play dough eggs in a bowl and have the children gather around to find out what is inside the eggs. 

Hide the eggs, and tell the children not to open them until they are all gathered. Than surprise them with some chocolate play dough fun! 

Or, gift the chocolate play dough eggs in a fun colored Easter basket with a cookie cutter.

Whatever you decide, it will a welcome surprise and full of fun. Be inspired, be creative!

Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers,
But a prudent wife is from the Lord.
Proverbs 19:14
Linking to:
Link Up, Party People!!The SUnday Showcase michellepaigePhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket{nifty button}PhotobucketI Heart Nap TimeCraft Schooling Sun.Post logoThe Girl CreativeKeeping It SimpleUndertheTableandDreamingSkip To My Louimageall crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {4/3}a to zebrahomeworkTodays Creative Blogkids in kitchen link upBringing BeautyHow to Nest for LessLink Up To Our Weekly Party...PhotobucketSouthern Lovely{Junk in their Trunk}Photobucket Photobucket52 MantelsThe 36th AVENUECatch a Glimpse ButtonSomewhat SimpleUndertheTableandDreamingFor the Kids FridayChic on a Shoestring DecoratingSimply Sweet Home Friday FavoriteTidyMom I'm Lovin' It


  1. How much fun is chocolate playdoh. I love that you placed it in the plastic eggs. Would you please share this on my new linky party, Dare to Share.

  2. Edible play-dough is so much fun! My kids are going to love the chocolate version! What a cute idea to put it in Easter eggs!

  3. Wow, you just brought me back to my childhood! My mom always made homemade Playdoh for us, although we never made chocolate, she probably knew we eat it all because it smelled so good! We had hours of fun playing with the clay and making all sorts of things. This is a fantastic idea for your kids or as a gift. Thanks for the fond memories!

  4. I was thinking about making this and then forgot to will have to do it now!Thanks for the reminder!

  5. I've never made this chocolate kind and I can't wait to make it for the kids! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

  6. Oh, my! How adorable! What kid wouldn't love this! Please come link up with us at Kids in the Kitchen-I can't wait for everyone to see this.. and to make chocolate play-doh!
    Thanks so much! Blessings!

  7. Thank you for linking up with us at Kids in the Kitchen! I love this project- I'm thinking it may be good for my Children's Church :)

  8. Thanks for your quick response to my request to link up to Kids in the Kitchen. I appreciate it and know that our readers will love it! Have a great week, hope to see you next Tuesday.

  9. What a fun idea! I love seeing non-food ideas!

  10. I love that it smells like chocolate. My only fear would be that if I let my monster try it she'd try every kind of play doh afterwards. She's a monster! Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

  11. What a very cool idea! I'd love to have had chocolate playdough. Lol, I'm guessing it's not edible with a cup of salt, but I'd be tempted.

  12. What a great idea! My kids would totally eat it if it smelled good, so I would definitely have to give the warning!

    Take care,


  13. How fun! I wouldn't mind my kids nibbling on that.. but then they would be in for a surprise! haha... although my almost 2 year old ate a piece of rock salt today :/ she said it was sour! haha

  14. I've seen so many play doh recipes and it's time that I try it :) Great activity.. thanks for sharing at Sharing saturday.



There was an error in this gadget