Saturday, March 3, 2012

Kids Play: St. Patrick's Play Dough

Do you love play dough as much as we do? Not just loving it for the kids to play nicely and quietly with, but for YOU to play with! 

Play Dough may very well be one of the childhood toys we will never out grow. We love making up fresh a fresh batch whenever the occasion calls for it. 

If you have ever made play dough from scratch, you know how soothing it can be kneading the warm dough in your hands and playing around with it. 

Even store bought play dough squeezed in your hands while playing with the kids is very relaxing. Must be where the makers of those stress release squeeze balls got the idea. 

We could not let St. Patrick's Day pass us by without making up a batch of green homemade play dough. We borrowed the recipe from Infarrantly Creative, and adjusted it just a wee bit.

St. Patrick's Green Play Dough Recipe
Adapted from Infarrantly Creative
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup salt
2 packages unsweetened Kool-Aid mix {we used what we had which was unsweetened lemonade}
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
Several drops of green food coloring
Extra flour for kneading. {We found the dough needed additional flour. We added about 1/4 in total until it was no longer sticky. Once the additional flour was mixed in, the dough was very nice.}

Mix flour, salt and Kool-Aid well in a large bowl.

 Add boiling water and oil and then mix with a wooden spoon until it sticks together. When cooled and you can handle the dough mix the rest by hand blending all the color in so it is a nice even color. 

Dough should keep for up to three months in container or zip lock bag. This recipe was enough to fill the entire container below.

We have used other play dough recipes in the past, and while they were good, they called for cream of tartar and required some cooking. 

This recipe is cream of tarter less and no cooking! Which we like. The end result in our opinion is perfect.

Time to get busy and make some St. Patrick's Day play dough treats!

What would St. Patrick's Day be without a few play dough shamrocks.

Care for a scoop of green mint ice cream?!

For storing the play dough in and/or for gifting the play dough, we found these clear containers at the Dollar Tree. Five in a pack for a buck, pretty good.

To decorate the container we used free St. Patrick's Day party decor printables from Anna and Blue Paperie. Stefaine's printables are pretty well loved around here!

We found this really cool yarn at Walmart called "The Original Sugar'n Cream Twists", for $1.47! It looks like bakers twine. We only found green and white at our store.

We used the twine look a like as decoration and to hold a little hang tag on the play dough container.

Whether you package up the play dough as favors or little gifts, it is guaranteed to make for some creative expression.

When the kids are restless because they are bored and claim they have nothing to do, surprise them with a container or two of green play dough and chase away their blues! Be inspired, get creative!

A talebearer reveals secrets,
But he who is of a faithful spirit conceals a matter

Proverbs 11:13

Linking To:

PhotobucketmichellepaigeFor the Kids FridaySt. Patties Linky & Group Giveaway!PhotobucketI Heart Nap Time{nifty button}Craft Schooling Sun.HorizThe Girl CreativeUndertheTableandDreamingKeeping It SimpleTeagan's Travels Button, 2012 FebruaryWhite Lights on WednesdayCraft & Tellall crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {3/6}Todays Creative BloghomeworkPhotobucketIShareCraftsOopsey DaisyUNCOMMON Lovelyspread the joyPhotobucketthe artsygirl connection52 MantelsCatch a Glimpse ButtonSomewhat SimpleThe Frugal Girls4 Real FridayChic on a Shoestring DecoratingFor the Kids FridayPhotobucket504 MainLIL ' LUNA52 MantelsPhotobucketDesign DazzleSimply DesigningTidyMom I'm Lovin' ItPhotobuckettoomuchtimeI Heart Nap TimeSouthern LovelyI Was Featured, 2012 FebruarySee Vanessa CraftGinger SnapsDesign DazzleThe SUnday Showcase


  1. Looks like fun. Great pics too. If you have not linked this up at the Go Green giveaway and linky at Bacon Time please do. It's ending soon and there are some wonderful prizes up for grabs.

  2. We love play dough too, it's so much fun! Please stop over and share this at Mix it up Monday:

    I hope to see you soon :)

    1. Thank you so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday and I hope you'll stop back soon :)

  3. I have some homemade purple play dough for my grands right now!! Thanks for reminding me to make some green!! You have great photos.

  4. looks fun! i'd have to adapt this to be gluten free, but nonetheless, homemade trumps storebought anytime!

    adding mint extract might be fun as well. that scent always reminds me of st. patty's...

  5. What a great idea! I will have to try this for my daughter and nephews.
    Come by for a visit sometime! I'm even doing a giveaway this week!

  6. Play dough is big with my two year old. I'm totally going to make this for him for a St. Patrick's Day present this year. I'd love for you to come share at my St. Patty's link party. :)

  7. So cute! I would add some peppermint extract to give it some yummy mint scent. Thanks for sharing this!

  8. I'd love for you to come link this up!

    Melanie :)
    Reasons To Skip The Housework

  9. This is wonderful. We are so glad that you linked up to "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Hope you'll be back next week! -The Sisters

  10. I love the way you packaged it! So festive.

  11. Love this idea! The packaging is so cute! I would love it if you could come over and share at my linky party!

  12. How fun!! Thank you so much for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I hope you have a wonderful week!

  13. Fun, fun, fun! The perfect way to celebrate St. Party's with the kiddos!
    "Kiss Me I'm Irish" linky party now open!

  14. Oooo we made some of this last year, and it was a hit with my little man! You are so ahead of the game! :)

  15. Yay! I'm SO glad you linked up. I'm featuring you in the artist talent album on Facebook
    And I pinned this great idea!!
    Have a fabulous day,
    "Kiss Me I'm Irish" linky party now open!

  16. What a fantastic little idea!!! FUN!! Thanks for sharing with us at Uncommon! Bonnie ;)

  17. I have only made the cooking kind. Yours is a much easier option- as in my kids can help! They will love this project : )

  18. Fab idea! I know what small one and I will be doing on the holiday now C:

    Thank-you so much for sharing at Pin'inpiration Thursday C:

    Hope you pop by on Saturday to check-out our new party.

  19. My momma used to make me play-dough when I was a kid! Thanks for recipe. I'll be saving this one for my daughter when she's old enough!

    I'm doing a special St. Patty's round-up tomorrow and will be featuring this cute project! Thanks for linking up today! :)

  20. LOVE this with the printables. Such a great idea for the kiddos!! I've never made this before but will have to try. Pinning this!

  21. Perfectly seasonable. I'd love to have you join me at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

  22. I just wanted to let you know I featured you on Blissful and Domestic today. Stop and grab a button:>

  23. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

  24. Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

  25. Hey! Just wanted to let you know that I featured this today from my Show & Share party, congrats! Thanks for sharing at my place!

  26. I love the idea of coloring play dough with KoolAid! Great idea for a gift this time of year.

  27. Love this!! I just featured this project on my blog today:

  28. Featuring YOU this morning over on my blog. Thank you so much for sharing at {wow me} wednesday last week.

    Ginger @

  29. Hi! I'm visiting from Design Dazzle. What a fun idea with fantastic pictures. Thanks for sharing.



There was an error in this gadget