Monday, April 9, 2012

Kitchen Herb Garden



                                    Are you gardening yet?!


We hope you all had a beautiful Easter holiday, and were able to reflect on the true beauty of Easter with family and dear friends. Aside from loving Easter this time of year, we also love this time of year because we can get out in the garden and see some of our old friends and, make some new friends! 


We have been busy this Spring planting a kitchen herb garden. 


You may remember our little green thumbs recycled rain boot herb garden from last season. Still love seeing those cute little rain boots! For this seasons herb garden, at least for now, we decided to have an indoor kitchen herb garden using recycled items from the thrift store. 




We found two of the same tin planter pots for $1.49 each. Then we found a cool white with black rim tray for  $1.99. The tray looks like a vintage medical or hospital tray or possibly one that went in an old school ice box, aka, refrigerator. 


Either way, we snagged it up and love it! Prior to planting into used containers it is always wise to wash them in warm soapy water to which a little bleach has been added to kill off any bacteria.



We picked up four different fresh herbs from Walmart for  $2.00 a piece. We took everything out side and got busy planting!


                              And here they are basking in the warm beautiful sun!


We had some dollar tree plant markers on hand that we used to mark our herbs with. We cut rectangles out of  a cereal box we saved to fit the name plate and stamped on the names of the herbs before taping them on to the markers. 
                                            So here is the Lemon Thyme..... above.


                                                          Italian Parsley {love}......


                                  Chocolate Mint which smells divine......... LOVE

                              And Lemon Balm which smells great too and LOVE!


We have a very sunny breakfast nook where we placed the kitchen herb garden on the bistro table and you probably saw our garden lurking in the back ground on some of our previous posts.


They are so pretty when the sun shines on them. We are excited to use all of the herbs in different recipes!


Do you have plans for an herb garden this spring? Why not try a simple kitchen herb garden and have fresh herbs at your finger tips and a beautiful centerpiece decoration as well. Check out your local thrift store for interesting containers to use for planting your herbs in. Be inspired, get creative!


If you faint in the day of adversity,
Your strength is small.

Proverbs 24:10


Linking To:
mop it up mondaysSkip To My Louall crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {4/10}Todays Creative BloghomeworkLil\'LunaClick On The Button Below To Link Up To Our "Uncommonly Yours" Link Party! Join Us Each Wednesday!{Junk in their Trunk}a to zebraPhotobucket
The 36th AVENUEthe artsygirl connectionPhotobucket52 MantelsCatch a Glimpse ButtonPhotobucketOur DelightfulHomeSomewhat SimpleBlissfulanddomesticThe Frugal GirlsOne Artsy MamaPhotobucketPhotobucketTidyMom I'm Lovin' ItSimply Sweet Home Friday FavoriteSimply DesigningMichelle’s Tasty CreationsPhotobucket{nifty button}PhotobucketPhotobucketI Heart Nap TimeNatasha In OzUndertheTableandDreamingKeeping It SimpleThe Girl Creative The Celebration Shoppe Craft & Tellshabby creek cottage

28 comments:

  1. Love the idea of your herb garden! Hope you had a fabulous Easter!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I'm trying to figure out a place in my house where I could do this. I'm not sure if I have a place that is sunny enough. Do herbs need a lot of sun?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! So ready to get some herbs going... so far I just have flowers... Hopefully soon! Would love to have you share this at our linky party, again! Enjoyed having you last week...

    -Heather
    Stringtown Home

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE this idea and am so glad I found your blog! New subscriber here :-) For a few laughs and some fun recipes, I hope you'll stop by my blog The Kitchen Witch! I am sharing this amazing post on my Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, found you through the Uncommonly Yours link up party. Yes, love this idea! I have similar pots ready to put together an herb garden and I especially like how you used a tray to hold your pots. I'm going to look for one too! thanks for sharing your idea. from Holly @ www.abakershouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is perfect! I love a little greenery around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The little tags are so cute! I've been wanting to start an herb garden and those would be fun to make as well. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! Your little pots and tags are too cute! Thanks for the heads up on herb prices @ Wal-mart...I may just make a trip over there today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I really need to do this! Love the sweet little signs! Angie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your herb garden looks so fresh and happy! I would have pounced on those tins and the tray, too. I always like having fresh rosemary available so this gives me some great ideas for how to display herbs indoors.

    Claire @ alittlesomethinginthemeantime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are sweet! I am crazy about herbs and haven't started my planting yet...eek! (over from Artsy Girl Connection) Way to thrift! xo wendy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love you herb garden. I would love for you to share this post with my readers, at my linky party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/04/show-me-what-you-got-linky-party-9.html

    Mrs.Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this. My daughter just bought a house that has a real greenhouse attached. I'm going to do this for the greenhouse and we'll always have fresh herbs. VERY COOL. Thanks, Linda

    Following on Linky

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea!!! Love the signs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no plans to have my own herb garden but you definitely have inspired me! My kitchen doesn't have windows (I live in a condo).. do they need to be by a window. I would place them on my bar counter and it gets a small amount of natural light. Also, when transferring the herbs other containers, will I need potting soil? Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,

    I followed you over from Bacon Time's Link Party and I love this idea. I try to grow herbs every year and am not very good at it. I think I'll try this cute idea this year.

    I would love for you to share this on my link party. www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. Have a great weekend.

    Hugs,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for linking up. Hope to see you weekly!

    P.S. So glad you grabbed the button and it worked; I made it myself :)

    Have a great weekend.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea!! I just bought a few herbs and haven't transplanted them yet! Here is my Too Cute Tuesday's post.. http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-tuesday-bunnys-birthday-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have inspired me to go plant shopping! what a cute and useful display! You totally scored at the thrift shop! featuring this today on our facebbok page! have a lovely saturday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh I love what you did! I've bought a few herbs for my kitchen, I think I'll do something similar. So you found the plant markers at Dollar Tree? do you know what section of the store?

    Thanks for linking up! I featured your post in my wrap up! http://tidymom.net/2012/diy-ideas-for-home/ Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a gorgeous idea! I need to try something like this because I never seem to have time in the garden and I could manage this!

    My weekly Say G’day Saturday Linky Party is on now and I would be so thrilled if you could join in and link up this great post!

    Best wishes for a fabulous weekend!
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are adorable! I'd love to try these this summer (and hope that cat won't nibble on them)!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How cute is your little herb garden!I love the little galvanized pots. Great find at $1.49. Have I been gardening? You bet! Have been working in the garden since January! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your herb garden is fantastic! Just shared on Facebook and thanks so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday :) Hope you're enjoying your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your markers! Reminds me that I need to get out and do something about my herb garden!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this!!!
    You inspired me - I headed right out to Walmart to get my seed packs after seeing your post!
    Thank you very much!
    And thanks for linking up to my party!
    I am featuring you this week! Come and see!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just wanted to stop by to say thanks so much for linking up to my Say G'Day Saturday Party. I just tweeted about this post!

    I hope you will be able to join in and link up another fabulous post this weekend!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello, just letting you know that I have mentioned you on my blog. If there is anything that you would like for me to remove, please let me know. Cheers Jennifer
    www.eatcraftsow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY!!!

There was an error in this gadget