Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Recipe Wednesday:Homemade Dog Cookies



Did someone say, "Scooby snack?"

It's only fair to include in our Recipe Wednesday series a cookie recipe for someone other than ourselves! In our family we have animals, specifically, two cats, two birds and one chocolate lab. Our dog loves getting a special treat now and than from our son. So, we got to thinking it was time to put our dog bone cookie cutter to use, and make some dog cookies even Scooby would love!



First, take a look at our dog cookie jar we found at the thrift store for $2.00! 




Peanut Butter & Oatmeal Dog Cookie Recipe
                      From: Dog Treat Kitchen


Ingredients:
2 cups flour {whole wheat, white or another flour if your dog has gluten sensitivities}.
1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup peanut butter{smooth or crunchy}
1 1/4 cups hot water
Extra flour if need for dough stickiness and for rolling.


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Mix dry ingredients together first.
Mic in the peanut butter and hot water. You may need to add additional flour if the dough is too sticky.
Knead the dough well.
Roll out the dough into 1/4 " thickness and cut into shapes with a cookie cutter.
Optional: Make an egg wash{one egg whisked}, and brush on the cookies before baking. This gives the cookies a nice sheen.
Place on  lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Turn off oven and allow cookies to cool in oven over night.
The cookies will be get good and hard, just the way dogs like them!
Our cookies lasted two weeks and than started to turn. So be sure and check them every few days for freshness.






Of course our son had to test these out fore the dog. He actually liked them. Other than being supper hard, he liked the taste. They look like a piece of fried chicken. And funny when they were baking, they made the house smell like fried chicken!



Our chocolate lab is a girl, and we thought the orange ribbon around a couple treats was pretty. Or, if you wanted to make some and gift some, tie a few up in a colorful ribbon.




What would a dog cookie post be without seeing the receiver of such tasty treats! Well here she is...



                                           This is Brandi. 


Brandi really enjoyed her dog cookies. So far, as far as we know, they haven't given her gas! Do you have a special for legged friend who might like some homemade cookies?! Be inspired, get creative!

A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself,
But the simple pass on and are punished.
Proverbs 22:3
Linking To:
Craft & TellLil\'LunaSouthern LovelyThe 36th AVENUEPhotobucket 52 MantelsPhotobucketCatch a Glimpse ButtonThe Celebration ShoppePhotobucketBlissfulanddomesticThe Frugal GirlsPhotobucketFor the Kids FridayPhotobucketPoofy CheeksTidyMom I'm Lovin' ItSimply Sweet Home Friday FavoriteThe SUnday ShowcasePhotobucket{nifty button}I Heart Nap TimeLink Up, Party People!!UndertheTableandDreamingSkip To My Louall crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {4/24}a to zebraTodays Creative Blog

15 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a Chocolate Lab too and she would love these for her birthday in July!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boston terrier would love these, your pup is adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I love home made doggy cookies. This is a great recipe. I think Brandi is so cute! I will try these fr my dogs, Bear and Tasha!
    Blessings,
    Susie
    http://littlesusiehomemaker-lilsusiehomaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! I will have to try this recipe for my boys :) Thanks so much for sharing over at LLL Thursday. Following you now too. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our dogs will be so glad I saw this post! I'm a bit of a health nut and my dogs are no exception so I don't often buy them treats from the store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing - these are so fun and my dog will LOVE them!
    Lowri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to trying these. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These dog biscuits are so sweet- I'm glad your dog likes them. When I got my latest cat, my sister was SO in love with it that she baked it a bunch of treats using her easy bake oven (She was 10). (Recipe from a cat book she had). She worked so hard and my heart goes out to her because the cat wouldn't even try them. =D If you get a chance, I'd love for you to stop by my Sweet Sharing Mondays party! http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday-2/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea - very nice! And what an adorable doggie!
    Thanks for linking up to the Creative Inspirations Party at Embracing Change!
    So happy you were here!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brandi is one lucky dog!! Going to have to make these for our Golden Retriever!! We loved having you link up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Hope you'll be back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute puppy. I'm going to try these today for my Huskweiler. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, I enjoy reading through your article. I wanted to write a little comment to support you.
    my web site > farmerconnect.urbaninformatics.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want this bowl for keeping my doggy’s food. Can you tell me that from where I can buy this bowl? Brandi is also looking so rocking like my Husky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've started selling my cookies and donating 80% of the funds if i dont just give them away, to our local humane society. Of course my babies get some too ..... So thank you for a new recipe!

    ReplyDelete

WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY!!!

Share It