Monday, May 7, 2012

Homemade Gel Home Air Fresheners


What does your house smell like?!

After having our homes closed up during winter, things can get a little musty and not smell as fresh as they should. So what do we do? Grab that aerosol can of room spray and breath in some unhealthy chemicals?!  No thank you!

 Instead, make up a couple jars of nice smelling gel air fresheners and set them around the house. No harmful chemicals in these babies!


Yes in deed, homemade home air fresheners made with ingredients that are natural and easy to find. No funny stuff.....no junk..... no kidding!

           Homemade Gel Air Freshener Recipe
                                                            from Foodie With Family
                               
Ingredients:

  • 1 ounce granulated or powdered gelatin
  • 2 cups cold water, divided
  • 20-30 drops of your choice of essential oil
  • 1 Tablespoon salt
  • optional, food coloring to tint the air freshener
Also needed:
  • heat-proof jars to hold the hot gelatin liquid
  • a disposable chopstick or skewer to use as a stir stick
Bring one cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan.  Sprinkle the gelatin over the boiling water and whisk until smooth and all the gelatin is dissolved.  Add the salt and the second cup of cold water and whisk.  Set aside.
Add the desired amount of essential oil and food coloring, if using, to the jar(s).  Quickly pour the hot liquid gelatin over the essential oil and food coloring.  Stir until evenly colored.

Allow to cool, uncovered on a heat-proof surface.  When it reaches room temperature, place wherever you want a lovely scent. Should last about four weeks if you used enough salt in the recipe to hold off the mold.


Please Note: If you are interested in gifting these it is recommended that you make them up and give them right away. Do not make, wrap and leave sitting for any length of time. The ingredients in the recipe are all natural with no chemical preservatives. The added salt will keep mold away for some time, but eventually turns. 




                            For our home fragrances we chose Rosemary and Lemon


                                                            And Orange and Lemon



We love the scent of Rosemary and Lemon alone and together and used those oils in our blue colored home fragrance. Fresh, clean, energetic and happy!



We used Orange and Lemon oil to fragrance our orange home fragrance freshener. The scent of fresh squeezed oranges just makes you feel good!


We reused our little canning jars that we used in March for our Irish Potato Soup. These are the perfect little size and shape. And the color of the gel shows through nicely. Keeping the ring on the jar just makes it look finished and when you want to turn the fragrance "off", just screw the lid on.


Are you thinking about all the different places you could use these home gel fragrances? Let's see, near the cat box, dog bed, oh yes the laundry basket, and than there is the......... 

Be inspired. Get creative!

Poverty and shame will come to him who disdains correction,
But he who regards a rebuke will be honored.
Proverbs 13:18

Linking To:

Skip To My LouCraft & Tellblah2beautifulHow to Nest for LessOrganizingHomelife.comhandmade projects Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {5/8}homeworkTodays Creative Blogwednesday's wowzersClick On The Button Below To Link Up To Our "Uncommonly Yours" Link Party! Join Us Each Wednesday!Lil\'LunaSouthern LovelyEtcetorizeOrganize and Decorate EverythingThe 36th AVENUEshabby creek cottage52 MantelsPincushion CreationsSomewhat SimpleCatch a Glimpse ButtonThe Frugal GirlsOne Artsy MamaPhotobucketTidyMom I'm Lovin' ItI Heart Nap TimeUndertheTableandDreamingEtcetorizeCreatively Living

47 comments:

  1. Kristin, I can't believe it's that simple to make. If I can find all of the ingredients (essential oil)I would luv to give this a try. Thanks so much sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Essential oils can be found online. Look for soap making supplies, candle making supplies, though don't get ones with high flash points unless you wish to turn them into gel candles. Would that work?

      Delete
  2. What a great idea. We buy those and I never thought to make my own! And to think it was that easy. I'm glad you posted it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With my chemical sensitivities it's hard to keep our house smelling nice. This is a great idea!
    Found you via Sugar Bee Crafts and am your newest linky follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super idea! They'd make perfect gifts too! I now have all sorts of fragrance and coloring ideas going through my head. LOL Stopping by from Tell It To Me Tuesday. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now those are just awesome! I don't know how you figured that out but I'm glad you did. I'm even happier that you shared it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea, natural is always a good way to gi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I had no idea you could create your own air freshener like this! So cool. Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea!!! 4 boys live at my house, so I might have to make a few of these! lol

    I'm linking this to my FB page!

    Thanks for sharing it at Creatively Living!
    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really neat idea! could it be gifted? I wonder if you put regular lids on the jars if they would keep until you opened them? That way you could give a few away to someone and they could take them out as needed. =D I'd love for you to share at Sweet Sharing Monday! http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday-4/ (Up until Midnight Tonight)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love these! Such an easy recipe that I think I could even make them myself. Can't wait to try. If you're looking for another place to share your awesome tutorial I'd love to have you link up over at Etcetorize (http://etcetorize.blogspot.ca/2012/05/make-it-great-monday.html). Hope to see you there~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to make this, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you store this for gifts?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great recipe. I have to give it a try :).

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Must try this! The ones at the store always smell awful. Maybe I could make something that actually smells good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a fabulous alternative to the sprays full of chemicals! I love that you can personalize your fragrance and that it looks adorable in its little cute jar. Thanks so much for sharing this wit h us this week!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea so much that I'm featuring it at tonight's Make it Great party! I hope you'll stop by to grab a featured button from the sidebar and link up again (http://etcetorize.blogspot.ca/2012/05/make-it-great-monday_13.html)~

    ReplyDelete
  17. They're so pretty I think my kids would try to eat them ;) Great idea! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    --Trish

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, love this! I'd love for you to add it on my link party at: http://printabelle.com/?p=3717 Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for linking up, I love these colors and scents and your photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an awesome, eco-friendly idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are wonderful! LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are so cool! I love the idea that you can play around with colors and scents - yours are gorgeous!
    Your post is excellent, and I'd love if you would come link up with my Homemaking Monday post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi very nice blog and very nice information and so cool.. I LOVE this product. I will most definitely buy this again.These are wonderful! LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. how long does it take for them to set up?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Which stores carry essential oil?

    ReplyDelete
  26. How well do these last? How long/strong is the scent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours lasted about 30 days. The more salt you add the longer they last. The scent depends on the about of essential oil you add.

      Delete
  27. We can't even find the essential oils here in my town at Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  28. We made a batch of these and a few turned liquidy after about a week. Does anyone know this happened?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am sorry your recipe turned out runny after a week. I am not sure what caused that to happen. Perhaps you may want to contact the developer of this recipe and inquire. Here is the link.
    http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/2010/03/17/homemade-essential-oil-air-fresheners/comment-page-1/#comment-209922

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great Christmas gift idea!!! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am going to try this with agar agar instead if gelatin and see how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I made this a while back and they are wonderful! I put one in my kitchen and one in my bedroom. The kitchen one lasted almost a month before it started to mold but the one in the bedroom was good for about two months. I couldn't believe how incredible they smelled! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I wonder how it would work if you used colloidal silver or grapefruit seed extract as preservatives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing, a natural preservative so it will last longer without mildewing. I know lemon juice is a natural preservative but will it mess up the recipe? or maybe even the lemon EO?

      Delete
  34. Is it possible to can them in mason jars like you would jams and jellies so they last will last a lot longer to give as gifts and then just have them pop the seal when they are ready to use them? So they could be made in advance?

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this idea. Can you use Jello Gelatin?

    ReplyDelete
  36. I was disappointed in the lack of scent emitted, and how quickly they molded, even using extra salt.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a great idea! I made them last night, so easy to make. I'm not sure if I did something wrong but they stayed watery. So this morning I checked on another site and they suggested that you refrigerate them overnight. I put mine in the fridge this morning, and after work we enjoyed one in the livingroom. As for the scent I put extra drops of essential oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did yours set up after you refrigerate them overnight? I just made one and it also stays watery til now =(

      Delete
  38. is there anything we can substitute gelatin

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have use these recipe for home air freshener and use my oils.Work very well.
    For Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essentials oils Check out my site
    doTerra.myvoffice.com/295665/
    Yodi CNHP
    Apacheherbs53@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. If you are looking to find great essentials oils, go to doTerra.myvoffice.com/295665/
    These essentials oils are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade.
    I use them all the time.Yodi,CNHP


    ReplyDelete

WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY!!!

Share It